Town of Chesapeake City is seeking a professional, personable, and capable individual to join our team who performs professional work enforcing Town codes and ordinances.
Position is contractual and is expected not to exceed 8 hours/week. Minimum qualifications include High School diploma or G.E.D equivalent; and three years of code enforcement experience involving public contact in a municipal setting; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Send cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com or mail to Town of Chesapeake City, 108 Bohemia Ave., Chesapeake City, MD 21915 by 4:00 p.m. on October 3, 2017. PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS. EOE.
Position Title: Code Enforcement Officer
Type of Employment: Contractual Maximum
Work Hours per Week: 8 Rate of Pay: $18/hr.
Supervisor: Mayor/Town Manager
Performs professional work in enforcing Town Codes and Ordinances. This position has the over-all responsibility to assist in administration of the Chesapeake City Comprehensive Development Zoning Ordinance and all other Town Ordinances with the exception of ordinances pertaining to noise, and has no authority to deviate from the Ordinances. Position works under the general and technical direction of the Town Manager and is ultimately responsible to the Mayor.
Typical Duties Performed:
The duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the below:
- Initiates inspections, based on either a complaint or personal observation. With regard to responding to complaints, follow up should occur within 2 business days, unless otherwise directed by the Town Manager.
- Inspects construction projects to insure consistency with building permits.
- Issues Stop Work Orders and other citations as required.
- Initiates enforcement proceedings when code violations occur; prepares letters and/or contacts property owners, either by phone or other means available; refers unresolved issues to the Town Manager and appears in court as required.
- Meets with property owners to resolve conflicts as necessary.
- Answers general questions regarding Town Ordinances and related issues.
- Maintains all necessary records for day-to-day activities and the permanent files related to code enforcement.
- Attends evening meetings such as Planning Commission and Town Council when necessary/required.
- Makes suggestions and proposals to amend Ordinances.
- Prepares a variety of correspondence, reports, and up-dates as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Town Manager and/or the Mayor.
- Attends seminars and training sessions germane to the position.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of the laws, statutes and ordinances of the State of Maryland, Cecil County and the Town of Chesapeake City as they relate to the enforcement of Town Ordinances and Codes.
- Working knowledge of industrial, residential and commercial property development.
- Working knowledge of the governmental process.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically both orally and in writing.
- Ability to negotiate outcomes favorable to the Town of Chesapeake City.
- Ability to attend meetings, operate a motor vehicle, and visit properties.
- Ability to operate equipment including, but not limited to; a telephone, computer, copier, printer, and other pieces of general office equipment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to visually review and inspect properties and plans.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Three years’ experience in code enforcement in a municipal setting or a combination of experience, training, and other qualifications which are acceptable to the Mayor.
- Valid driver’s license.
- A registered and insured motor vehicle.
- Proof of insurance.
Physical & Environmental Conditions:
- Work requires no unusual demand for physical effort.
- Work involves risks or discomforts, which may require special safety precautions, e.g.working around moving parts and machines. Operation of motorized vehicles. Employee may be required to use protective clothing or gear such as, but not limited to, masks, gowns, coats, safety eyewear, boots, gloves, etc.
THE ABOVE JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT INTENDED AS, NOR SHOULD IT BE CONSTRUED AS, EXHAUSTIVE OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, SKILLS, EFFORTS, OR WORKING CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS JOB.