Chesapeake City Welcomes You!
Chesapeake City Announcements
♦ For all postings, visit our News & Announcements page.
Town Council’s Workshop on Monday, July 25th has been cancelled.
Town Council will hold a combined voting meeting & workshop on August 15.
There will be no meetings on August 8 & 22.
Monday, July 25, 2016
Thursday, August 18, 2016
Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2016
Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2016
Public Can Access Live MD 213 Traffic Conditions on Web and Mobile Devices
The Maryland Department of Transportation’s State Highway Administration (SHA) has installed two temporary traffic cameras along MD 213 (Augustine Herman Highway) near the Chesapeake City Bridge over the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal in Cecil County. The temporary cameras provide 24/7 live stream of traffic conditions and can help commuters and emergency responders plan their routes during the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ bridge painting project.
The cameras, “MD 213 at Elk Forest Rd” and “MD 213 at MD 285” can be found on SHA’s Coordinated Highways Action Response Team (CHART) traffic cameras page that provides live traffic video to the public through more than 400 cameras statewide. Both cameras are north of the Chesapeake City Bridge where increased afternoon/evening backups are expected in conjunction with the bridge painting. Operators at CHART headquarters monitor and control the views from Hanover. The cameras use Adobe Flash® to stream video suitable for viewing on mobile devices.
Each day an average of 15,000 vehicles cross the Chesapeake City Bridge, which is owned and maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. For more information on the Corps’ bridge painting project see http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/Article/780921/army-corps-to-commence-repair-on-chesapeake-city-bridge/.
While SHA and its transportation partners work hard to maintain safe traffic mobility in work zones, each driver needs to actively modify his or her driving style to help prevent crashes. Stay alert and look for reduced speed limits, narrow driving lanes and highway workers. Slow down and don’t follow too closely. Work Zone Safety is in Your Hands.
A complete listing of current SHA projects is included in e-Road Ready 2016, the online brochure. Maryland drivers can also know before they go by calling 511 or visiting www.md511.org for live traffic updates, including construction delays and lane closures.
Our very own Valerie Walls, CC Town Treasurer, represented Chesapeake City at the Maryland Municipal League Convention held in Ocean City in June 2016. Here she is carrying the flag at the Opening Ceremonies.
Position: Zoning Inspector – Part-Time
Hours: As needed - not to exceed 8 hours per week
Job Description: Performs professional work in enforcing Town codes and ordinances. This position has the over-all responsibility to administer the Chesapeake City Comprehensive Development Zoning Ordinance and all other Town Ordinances and as no authority to deviate from the Ordinances. Position works under the general and technical direction of the Town Manager and is also responsible to both the Planning & Zoning Commission and ultimately to the Mayor and Town Council. Deadline to submit an application is July 22, 2016.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS POSITION
- Reviews applications for variances, conditional use permits, sub-divisions and zoning changes; prepares recommendations to the Planning & Zoning Commission, the Historic Commission, the Town Manager and to the Mayor and Town Council as required.
- Coordinates assistance on planning and zoning issues with contracted Town Engineers, the County Department of Permits & Inspections, and state and federal agencies as necessary.
- Reviews zoning certificate applications and site plans in accordance with the Comprehensive Development Ordinance and recommends the issuance of building permits as necessary.
- Serves as the Floodplain Administrator and performs duties in accordance with the Town’s Floodplain Management Office.
- Initiates inspections, either as a complaint or on an observation basis. With regard to responding to complaints, follow up should occur within 2 days, unless otherwise directed by the Town Manager.
- Issues Stop Work Orders and other citations as required.
- Initiates enforcement proceedings when code violations occur; prepares letters and/or contacts property owners, either by phone or other means available; refers unresolved issues to the Town Manager and appears in court as required.
- Meets with property owners to resolve conflicts as necessary.
- Answers general questions regarding Town Ordinances and related issues.
- Maintains all necessary records for day-to-day activities and permanent files.
- Attends evening meetings when necessary and required.
- Makes suggestions and proposals to amend Ordinances.
- Prepares a variety of correspondence, agendas, reports and up-dates as required.
- Performs other duties as required by the Town Manager, Chairman of the Planning &Zoning Commission, and the Mayor and Town Council.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of the laws, statutes and ordinances of the State of Maryland, Cecil County and the Town of Chesapeake City as they relate to the enforcement of Town Ordinances and Codes.
- Working knowledge of industrial, residential and commercial property development.
- Working knowledge of the governmental process.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically both orally and in writing.
- Ability to negotiate outcomes favorable to the Town of Chesapeake City.
- Ability to attend meetings, operate a motor vehicle and visit properties.
- Ability to operate equipment including, but not limited to; a telephone, computer, copier, printer and other pieces of general office equipment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to visually, review and inspect properties and plans.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Three years’ experience in code enforcement in a municipal setting or a combination of experience, training and other qualifications which is acceptable to the Mayor and Town Council.
- Valid driver’s license.
- A registered and insured motor vehicle.
- Proof of insurance.
Physical & Environmental Conditions
- Work requires no unusual demand for physical effort.
- Work involves risks or discomforts, which may require special safety precautions, e.g. working around moving parts and machines. Operation of motorized vehicles. Employee may be required to use protective clothing or gear such as, but not limited to, masks, gowns, coats, safety eyewear, boots, gloves, etc.
THE ABOVE JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT INTENDED AS, NOR SHOULD IT BE CONSTRUED AS, EXHAUSTIVE OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, SKILLS, EFFORTS, OR WORKING CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS JOB.
Please note that the deadline to submit an application is July 22, 2016. Applications submitted by email are preferred and should be submitted to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Hand-delivered and mailed applications will be accepted. If mailed, applications should be sent to Chesapeake City Town Hall, 108 Bohemia Ave., Chesapeake City, MD 21915.
For all postings, visit our News & Announcements page.
Town Hall & Contact Information
The Town of Chesapeake City
108 Bohemia Avenue
Chesapeake City, MD 21915
Mon. – Thurs. 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Friday 9:00 am to NOON
City Government Contacts
Dean Geracimos email@example.com
TOWN COUNCIL (listed alphabetically by last name)
Parks & Recreation, Code Enforcement, Charter/Ethics
Bill Miners Vice-Mayor, Special Assignments, Finance, Dock, Trail firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom Morris Public Safety, Noise Compliance email@example.com
Harry Sampson Water & Sewer, Public Works (Roads) Historic firstname.lastname@example.org
Frank Vari 5K Races, Planning & Zoning, Recycling email@example.com
TOWN HALL STAFF
Sandra Edwards Town Manager / Public Information Act Request Contact / Grant Writer firstname.lastname@example.org | 410-885-5298
Valerie Walls Treasurer email@example.com
Mary Elizabeth Cooper Water & Sewer Billing Clerk firstname.lastname@example.org
David Pardee Maintenance Engineer email@example.com
CONSULTANTS / CONTRACTORS
Carla Miners Economic Development & Tourism Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Bernstine Project Manager email@example.com